Kaitlyn Koniuszy, LCSW
I help angry teens, young adults emerging into adulthood, distant couples, and individuals who are going through life’s many transitions. I take a compassionate and holistic approach to teaching parenting, working through past trauma, including religious-based trauma, and building coping skills to find more peace in life. I also provide counseling to LGBT+ individuals with self-exploration related to sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression and gender dysphoria. I utilize numerous approaches, including Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Solution-Focused, Motivational Interviewing and attachment-based techniques, among others, when doing therapy with families, couples, and individuals. I believe counseling should be meaningful, progressive, and focused, and that finding the right counselor begins with taking a chance.
I am originally from of Northern Illinois and have experience providing therapy to individuals, couples, children and families. I am also currently employed at a local community agency in Southern Illinois where I provide therapy to children who are adopted and their families. In addition to therapy, I have provided multiple trainings for mental health, educational, and other professionals to help others become more compassionate and competent when working with individuals who have experienced trauma, as well as LGBT+ individuals and families.
I have experience providing individual and group counseling in many different settings including helping young adults with transitions in life, helping families and couples work through interpersonal and relationship issues, working with youth and families in conflict, helping individuals experiencing grief, working with individuals who have experienced trauma, working with veterans, helping clients in crisis, working with runaway and homeless youth, working with LGBT+ clients and supporting clients living with severe and persistent mental illness.
Phone: 618-248-2040 x26
- Teens (12-17)
- Adults (18+)
Areas of Focus
- Adolescents and Pre-Teens
- Adoption and Foster Care
- Attachment Disorder
- Bereavement / Grief
- Bipolar Disorder
- Blended Family
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- College Students
- Conduct Disorder
- Family Therapy
- Foster Kids / Parenting
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Postpartum Depression
- Relationship, Marriage, and Couples Counseling
- Self Harm
- Sexual Abuse
- Transgender / Gender Identity
- Women's Issues
- Workplace Issues
- Individual, family, and group counseling in an agency and private-practice setting.
- In-home counseling to children and families to promote cohesion and address problematic behaviors.
- Presenter and trainer to mental health and other professionals about multiple topics including LGBT+ issues.
Education and Credentials
- L.C.S.W. in Illinois (What's This?)
- M.S.W. from St. Ambrose University
- B.A. from St. Ambrose University